Middle School - Announcements
Tours will be held at 9 am January 14th, January 28th, February 11th, and February 28th. For more information regarding admissions for the 2014-15 school year, please visit our "Admissions" page.
Weekly Parent Updates
New Wellness Plan
The Board of Directors has approved a new Wellness Plan for the middle school.
Easy Ways You Can Support Voyager Academy
- VOYAGER ACADEMY, a new year, LOTS of NEW families.....Please take a minute to register with Box Tops for Education http://www.boxtops4education.com/...... Choose Voyager Academy as your choice school and enter the Bonus Offers! Remember to shop throughout the year using the marketplace. So many opportunities to earn $$ for VA without much effort! Check back often!!
- This year, Target will give money to schools all over the country for one simple act: a vote. Our school needs just 25 votes to earn a $25 donation from Target. But that's only the beginning. For each additional vote, our school will get $1 more. So please remember that, although the gesture is small, the rewards are potentially huge. Go to GiveWithTarget.com to vote for Voyager Academy High School once a week through September 21 or until Target has given away all $5 million. And please forward this email to your friends. Vote and see rules at GiveWith.Target.com.
- Visit http://www.avery.com/avery/en_us/ and Spin the Wheel. We have already had a $25 & a $100 winner this week.
- Check out the below links & Sign up TODAY! Easy ways to support the school when you don't have the time to be at the school!
- Harris Teeter - #6875 Voyager Academy
- Food Lion #214759 Voyager Academy
- Target RedCard Voyager Academy - School ID: 125491
- Labels for Education
- My Coke Rewards
Hannah Guerrier Earns Girl Scout Silver Award
Eighth grade student, Hannah Guerrier, has been awarded one of Girl Scouting's highest honors, the Girl Scout Silver Award. The Girl Scout Silver Award challenges middle school-aged Girl Scouts to excel in leadership, community service, career planning and personal development. Young women who earn this award have demonstrated self-discipline, time management, originality, initiative, and a significant mastery of skills. Voyager Academy is very proud of Hannah.
Zarria Bratts and Katerina Lamm Earn Mayor's Award
Congratulations to 8th graders Zarria Bratts and Katerina Lamm who were recently honored by the Mayor as recipients of the Mayor's Award. This award goes to youth who complete at least 100 summer service hours. To read more about the Mayor's Award Program and to see the complete list of recipients go here: http://www.
Middle School Students Win NC State Fair Graphic Design Competition
Congratulations to the following students whose work placed in the NC State Fair Graphic Design Competition!
- Grades 3-5 Category: Conner Faucette - 1st Place
- Grades 6-8 Category: Caroline Fogleman - 2nd Place; Lauren Steiner and Makayla Foust - 3rd Place
- Open Competition (Under 13 Years Old): Will Schumann and Matthew Choresevic - 2nd Place; Kolbe McQuaid - 3rd Place; Ben McQuaid - 5th Place
Will Hofmann attends the Junior National Young Leaders Conference
This summer Voyager Middle School student Will Hofmann was selected to attend the Junior National Young Leaders Conference (JrNYLC). Will was one of 250 outstanding middle school students from across the country chosen to attend the conference held in Washington, D.C. and themed Voices of Leadership: Reflecting on the Past to Create the Future. Please check out this press release and daily schedule to learn more about Will's participation in JrNYLC.
Congratulations to Will!
5th Graders Create Native American Poetry and Artwork Book
Fifth grade students worked hard to create poetry and artwork for their book titled "Our Native American Poetry and Artwork." The book is published online and ready for order! Please use this link to order a book. The price for one softcover book is $40.95. No proceeds go to Voyager Academy.
Students worked very hard on this project! Book copies would be great holiday gifts for students, friends, and relatives!
Larry Green Helps Family in Need
Larry Green, Academic Strategies teacher and coach, and his wife Paula have been called "guardian angels" after helping to save a woman and her two young children from a burning car. After the rescue, Larry and Paula discovered the woman was living in a homeless shelter and lost most of her belongings in the burning car. The Greens stepped in and bought the woman a car. For the full WRAL story, please click here.
Toni Shellady Becomes Google Certified Teacher in NYC
VAMS Technology Facilitator and Teacher, Toni Shellady, becomes a Google Certified Teacher in NYC at the Google Teacher Academy! This is a great honor for Mrs. Shellady and Voyager. Acceptance into the Academy is extremely competitive.
Toni Shellady is thrilled to be among those selected, stating "I am deeply honored to have been selected to attend this Academy. My hope is that I will be able to share all that I learn at the Academy with other local professionals with the goal of growing Google’s influence in the classroom. I have experienced first-hand the power that Google Education Apps brings to both teachers and students, and I am very excited to be a be a part of something so innovative and influential."
Click here for the full press release.
Clay Wooldridge Named WRAL Teacher of the Week
Eighth grade Core Connections teacher Clay Wooldridge was named WRAL's Teacher of the Week October 3rd.
Please click here for the WRAL video.
Registration for middle school enrichments is now open.